Welcome to BuddyPress! This section will help you set up your new BuddyPress-powered site as Super/Site Administrator: installing and configuring your settings to managing users, groups, activity streams and other BuddyPress components. It will also provide a guide for your users if you enable specific components. To run BuddyPress, following are some guidelines.
Upcoming BuddyPress 3.0 will support WordPress 4.5 or greater.
BuddyPress 2.9+ supports WordPress 4.4 or greater.
BuddyPress 2.8+ requires at least PHP 5.3 and supports WordPress 4.3 or greater.
BuddyPress 2.7+ supports WordPress 4.2 or greater.
BuddyPress 2.6+ supports WordPress 4.1 or greater.
BuddyPress 2.5+ supports WordPress 3.9 or greater.
See https://codex.buddypress.org/releases/ for the list of BuddyPress release versions and WordPress version compatibility.
- Apache Module mod_rewrite enabled for “pretty permalinks”
- WordPress should be installed manually i.e. via FTP, cpanel, etc. and NOT via webhost scripts (fantastico, softalicious, etc.)which bring about numerous issues when BuddyPress is activated.
- BuddyPress does not work on installations where you give WordPress its own directory.
- Folder name for any subdirectory or subdomain WordPress/BuddyPress installation must be in lowercase.
- PHP must have the GD or imagick modules installed (on the server) to allow re-sizing of images; BP avatar uploads will fail without one of these modules activated (WP will simply fail to create image sizes for posts but won’t show an error)
- AllowOverride should be set to All in folder where .htaccess is, for example:
- Back up your database.
- VPS hosting or better.