Welcome to BuddyPress! This section will help you set up your new BuddyPress-powered site as Super/Site Administrator: installing and configuring your settings to managing users, groups, activity streams and other BuddyPress components. It will also provide a guide for your users if you enable specific components. To run BuddyPress, following are some guidelines.
BuddyPress 2.5.0 is only compatible with WordPress 3.9.0 through the latest WP version.
BuddyPress 2.4.0 is only compatible with WordPress 3.8.0 through the latest WP version.
See https://codex.buddypress.org/releases/ for the list of BuddyPress release versions and WordPress version compatibility.
- Apache Module mod_rewrite enabled for “pretty permalinks”
- WordPress should be installed manually i.e. via FTP, cpanel, etc. and NOT via webhost scripts (fantastico, softalicious, etc.)which bring about numerous issues when BuddyPress is activated.
- BuddyPress does not work on installations where you give WordPress its own directory.
- Folder name for any subdirectory or subdomain WordPress/BuddyPress installation must be in lowercase.
- PHP must have the GD or imagick modules installed (on the server) to allow re-sizing of images; BP avatar uploads will fail without one of these modules activated (WP will simply fail to create image sizes for posts but won’t show an error)
- AllowOverride should be set to All in folder where .htaccess is, for example:
- Back up your database.
- VPS hosting or better.