BuddyPress Components and Features
BuddyPress is a powerful plugin that takes your WordPress.org powered site beyond the blog with social-network features like user profiles, activity streams, user groups, and more. Some fantastic uses might be:
- A campus wide social network for your university, school or college.
- An internal communication tool for your company.
- A niche social network for your interest topic.
- A focused social network for your new product.
- And many more!
BuddyPress comes with several components that integrate directly with your site, with each other, and even with other plugins (install bbPress to add support forums). If you only want to use a few features, BuddyPress will automatically adapt, showing only the menu items, pages and buttons for the features you have enabled.
- Member Account Settings
- Extended Profiles
- Friend Connections
- Internal Messaging
- Activity Streams
- User Groups
- Site Tracking
- WordPress Theme Compatibility
- bbPress Discussion Forums
- BuddyPress Widgets
- BuddyPress Links in Menus
Allow your users to modify their account and notification settings directly from within their profiles.
* Administrator Guide: Members
* Administrator Guide: Pending Users Admin Screen
* Administrator Guide: Mark as Spammer Admin Screen
Showcase your community members by creating an unlimited number of profile fields and groups of profile fields custom-made and meaningful for your community. Available profile field types include: text box, date selector, radio buttons, selectform, multiple selectforms, and a birthday field.
* Administator Guide: User Extended Profiles
* Administrator Guide: Edit User Profile Fields Admin Panel
Establish connections between members. Add friends and accept friendship requests. Track activities of friends or friends of friends. Each member has a list of friends on the site. Find new friends with similar interests by any link in each member’s profile field.
Send and receive private emails from members in your friends list within your private messaging panel. All members have their own individual Inbox, Sentbox and Drafts folder. Members will be notified of new messages by a new message count as well as email notifications if enabled.
* User Guide: Messages
Keep members abreast of the latest connections and @mentions within the site via email notifications and BP notifications in the WP Toolbar.
* User Guide: Notifications
Aggregate and record personal, group and sitewide activities with an RSS feed for each. Additional features include threaded commenting and favoriting in the activity stream, @mentions anywhere in the site, plus email notifications and status updates.
* Administrator Guide: Activity Streams
* Administrator Guide: Activity Stream Management Panels
Gather friends together by creating a public, private or hidden group and become the group admin. The group admin can also approve requests to join the private group, invite friends to a hidden group, establish communications among members, extend privileges to other members, and enable new features within the group, among others.
* Administrator Guide: Groups
* Administrator Guide: Group Settings and Roles
* User Guide: How To Join a Private Group
Create a network and allow members to start their own full-powered public or private WordPress blogs. Members can track new posts and comments from public blogs across the site as these are posted in the sitewide activity stream, in the blog owner’s activity stream, and in the blogs directory page.
* More about WordPress Blogs
BuddyPress is compatible with nearly all WordPress themes. we provide what you need to make your BuddyPress content look great. If your theme has BuddyPress-specific templates and styling, we’ll use them. If you still want to customize, you can override BP templates just like you would in a WordPress child theme.
* More about Theme Compatibility
Install bbPress plugin and create full-powered Sitewide and/or Group Forums in your BuddyPress installation. The site admin can set up general forums and the group admins can enable their own group forums. Members can create new topics and post it to any of the public and group forums created.
* Installing Sitewide and/or Group Forums
BuddyPress provides eight widgets: Members (Newest, Active, Popular tabs), Groups (Newest, Active, Popular tabs), Recently Active Members, Who’s Online and Recent Networkwide Posts (for multisite only), Friends, Sitewide Notices, and Log In/Out.
* More about BuddyPress Widgets