Template Pack Walkthrough – Twenty Eleven
Archived file. Good only up to BP 1.6.5 version
BP TEMPLATE PACK 1.2 == BUDDYPRESS 1.5 == WORDPRESS 3.2.1
There are two ways to implement Step Three of the compatibility process:
– First Method: Superimposing the HTML structure of your WordPress theme onto 16 BP template files which were transferred into your WP theme folder during the compatibility process or
– Second Method: Creating the following files in your WordPress theme – header-buddypress.php, sidebar-buddypress.php and/or footer-buddypress.php
We’ll use the second method to make Twenty Eleven compatible with BuddyPress. By the end of this article, you should have the basic child theme files required to make Twenty Eleven compatible with BP 1.5 using the BP Template Pack plugin:
Prelude: Create a Twenty Eleven Child Theme
( If you already have your own Twenty Eleven Child theme, skip this section and proceed to the Compatibility Process )
1. Create a new theme folder for your Twenty Eleven child theme. For this example, the child theme is called BP Twenty Eleven so we’ll name our theme folder bp-twentyeleven.
2. Create a style.css file and add it in the bp-twentyeleven folder with content below:
Theme Name: BP Twenty Eleven<br />
Theme URI: https://codex.buddypress.org/<br />
Description: Twenty Eleven child theme for BuddyPress Compatibility Process<br />
Version: 1.0<br />
Author: mercime<br />
Author URI: https://codex.buddypress.org/<br />
Template: twentyeleven<br />
Tags: buddypress, two-column<br />
@import url( ../twentyeleven/style.css );<br />
3. Upload the bp-twentyeleven folder with the style.css file within to your server at /wp-content/themes/
N.B. We’ll be creating and uploading more files later during the compatibility process. For now, these are the basic files required for the child theme to be activated so that we can proceed with the BP compatibility process.
1. After activating BuddyPress, go to dashboard Appearance > Themes and activate our child theme “BP Twenty Eleven. At the top of the Themes panel, you’ll see a message with 3 different options to make your theme compatible with BuddyPress. Select
update your existing WordPress theme
2. Clicking on the above link will bring you to the “Install Plugins” panel. Click on “Install” link under BuddyPress Template Pack plugin.
3. Click OK to install BuddyPress Template Pack plugin.
4. Activate BuddyPress Template Pack plugin.
5. Go to Appearance > BP Compatibility
6. Step One: Moving template files automatically. Click on
Move Template Files
7. Templates moved successfully! Click on
Continue to Step Three You only need to go through Step Two if there was a problem transferring the files.