Upgrading from an earlier version of BuddyPress? No problem, please follow the instructions that match your situation.
BACKUP – this cannot be emphasized enough! Make a copy of your database and all files before upgrading. There have been major changes in the latest version of BuddyPress and you will want a copy of your existing setup to fall back on if needed.
- Deactivate any BuddyPress plugins and then deactivate BuddyPress.
- If you are not going to use the new default theme, please download, install and activate the BuddyPress backwards compatibility plugin.
- Upgrade BuddyPress automatically, or download BuddyPress and overwrite your existing copy.
- Delete “bp-default” and “bp-sn-parent” from your themes directory.
- If you are using your own custom theme from 1.1, you will need to add
define( 'BP_CLASSIC_TEMPLATE_STRUCTURE', true );to your wp-config.php file above the “stop editing” line.
- Activate BuddyPress. You do not need to move any themes in this version.
To upgrade from BuddyPress 1.0 to 1.2 you will first need to download version 1.1 and upgrade manually by overwriting the existing BuddyPress plugin folder. Once you are running 1.1, please follow the instructions for upgrading from 1.1.
It’s important to note that if you are still using the old two theme setup (member theme & home theme) then this will no longer work in version 1.2. You will need to merge your theme into one. If you are running a standard WordPress theme as the home theme, you may want to read this guide to running BuddyPress on a sub blog. If you are running a bbPress integration you will need to run through the bbPress connection wizard under “BuddyPress > Forums Setup > Use Existing install..” in your wp-admin area after upgrading to 1.2.