Releasing BuddyPress to the world is a big deal, and takes quite a few manual steps to ensure safe and comfortable updates and upgrades are had by all. Below are the steps the core team goes through with each and every new release. (There are plans to automate a great deal of this with Grunt in 2014, but until then, enjoy this extremely long list of responsibilities.)
- Write release version page on codex (i.e. http://codex.buddypress.org/releases/version-1-5-5/)
- Add new version page to codex Releases page (http://codex.buddypress.org/releases/)
- Bump version in bp-loader.php (plugin header + $this->version (setup_globals()))
- Bump version in dev trunk readme.txt
- Bump stable-tag in dev trunk readme.txt
- Add new Upgrade Notice for this version in readme.txt
- Commit bumps to dev svn repository
- If this is a major x.y release, create dev branch from trunk
- Export dev branch to deploy branch
- Delete .travis.yml and /tests/ and /bp-forums/bbpress/ (These are not committed to the deploy repository)
- Make sure /bp-forums/bbpress/ externals are set on newly created branch (the correct syntax is svn propset svn:externals ‘bbpress http://bbpress.svn.wordpress.org/tags/1.2/’ tags/1.5.3/bp-forums/ or whatever your path to bp-forums is)
- Create deploy tag from dev branch
- Update readme.txt in wp.org trunk, including stable tag. The release is now live.
Now that you’ve tagged a new BuddyPress release, it’s time to tell the world about it!
- Write a blog post on buddypress.org
- Update version number in the Downloads page on the buddypress.org.
- Write a blog post on bpdevel.wordpress.com
- Forum announcement in buddypress.org/support
- Bump dev trunk to alpha in bp-loader.php (2.1-alpha)
- Bump newly created dev branch in bp-loader.php (2.0.1-alpha)
- Sync deploy trunk and dev trunk